Around this time of year, sports hit a slow patch. However, here are some good pieces I found last week around the holiday weekend…….
– NASCAR is something that North Carolinians cherish and cannot do without. Countless drivers have NC roots and connections, but one stands above all: Richard Petty. This memoir from Ed Hardin recounts his relationship with the Pettys and pays homage to the King for his 80th birthday.
– We are a while away from the start of the next NBA season, but free agency is in full swing and teams are reflecting on new draftees and trade acquisitions. This piece by Vice Sports was an optimistic reminder of how Dwight Howard can improve the ailing Hornets defense and the numbers behind it.
– The ACC Coastal division is like a box of chocolates, you really never know what you are going to get. Teams have gone 6-6 and made conference title games and then other teams have gone on to make appearances in New Years Six bowls. It’s always a toss up. I really liked this podcast from Everyday Should Be Saturday; they think that this year’s Coastal division will be no different from other years and entertaining as ever.
– Victories for Boston College are far and few. However, the Eagles’ new athletic director, Martin Jarmond, has brought a new positive vibe to Chestnut Hill and hopes to turn things around. The youngest AD in the Power 5 sat down with WRAL’s Jeff Gravley to discuss his ties with North Carolina.
– Tweet of the Week: Greg Olsen’s response to this Panthers tweet was priceless…..
When they ask if you can make it 4 pic.twitter.com/lpLw7jccAe
— Greg Olsen (@gregolsen88) July 3, 2017