It’s another #TBT at Sports Channel 8 and today we look back 15 years ago to the day where UNC brought one of their own home.
On Sunday night, December 10, 2000, word began to leak out that John Stephen Bunting would be coming back to his alma mater to coach the UNC Tar Heels football team. The official press conference would happen the following day on December 11, 2000.
Bunting was a part of of many highs and lows for the UNC football program including:
– A Peach Bowl victory over Auburn
– A thrilling win against NC State in the “TA Was In” game.
– Another thrilling win, this time against a top 5 Miami
– Disgusting 50 point losses to Maryland and Louisville
– Some weird story about his wife, Dawn Bunting doing voodoo at Kenan Stadium before games.
Bunting would be fired in 2006 after a 27-45 record, which would lead us to the best era in UNC football, the Butch Davis Era.