Brackets are released! Well, we at least got a bracket teaser on Sunday.
For the second straight year, the NCAA Selection Committee gave us a preview as we’re about a month away from the real thing. The preview gave us the top 4 seeds for each region as of yesterday.
- The top seeds are fluid. How can you take Purdue over a Michigan State that took them down on Saturday?
- Oklahoma a 4 seed? I have the Sooners as a #7 seed in today’s bracket. Seeing Gonzaga in that spot would have been easier to swallow.
- Michigan State and Duke are two teams that are tough to figure out. Both have had their ups and downs this season. How those two teams finish could impact their seed by 3-4 spots.
- Is every quadrant 1 win the same? Some have speculated that Q1 wins were important based upon this preview. Jay Bilas thinks there might be a flaw in the system.
For example, a road win over Rider is valued the same as a home win over Villanova. Both are Quadrant 1 wins. That makes no sense. Based upon RPI.
— Jay Bilas (@JayBilas) February 11, 2018
While this preview is a fun look ahead, it’s far from meaningless: 15 of the 16 teams that were in last year’s Bracket Preview managed a top 4 seed on Selection Sunday.
On to today’s bracket…
Final Four: East vs West & Midwest vs South
ALL CAPS/conference indicates an automatic bid
(1) VILLANOVA/Big East vs. (16) UNC ASHEVILLE/Big South
(8) Missouri vs. (9) Houston
(5) Michigan vs. (12) UL LAFAYETTE/Sun Belt
(4) Gonzaga vs. (13) NORTHERN KENTUCKY/Horizon
(3) AUBURN/SEC vs. (14) MONTANA/Big Sky
(6) Butler vs. (11) Kansas State/NC State
(7) FSU vs. (10) UCLA
(2) TEXAS TECH/Big 12 vs. (15) UC SANTA BARBARA/Big West
- -Despite the loss to St. John’s, Villanova takes the top overall seed this week. Nova and Virginia are a virtual toss-up for the top seed. The loss to Virginia Tech for the Hoos throws up a big red flag though about the Cavaliers offense.
- -Gonzaga continues to move up as they roll through the West Coast Conference schedule. Winning by 13 at Saint Mary’s on Saturday gives the Bulldogs 7 straight wins.
- -NC State manages to stay in this week’s bracket despite a week with losses at Virginia Tech and at home against UNC. The Pack have to at least split games at Syracuse and at Wake Forest this week.
(1) Xavier vs. (16) COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON/Colonial/BETHUNE-COOKMAN/MEAC
(8) TCU vs. (9) Penn State
(5) Texas A&M vs. (12) LOYOLA-CHICAGO/Missouri Valley
(4) Ohio State vs. (13) VERMONT/America East
(3) UNC vs. (14) SOUTH DAKOTA/Summit
(6) RHODE ISLAND/Atlantic 10 vs. (11) Arkansas
(7) SAINT MARY’S/WCC vs. (10) Louisville
(2) Purdue vs. (15) RIDER/MAAC
- -Xavier moves up to the 4th overall seed in this week’s bracket after winning 8 straight.
- -Purdue drops to a 2 seed after losing to Ohio State and Michigan State this past week.
- -UNC takes the 3 seed thanks to 3 wins in 5 days over Duke, NC State, and Notre Dame. The Heels may be finding their mojo at just the right time.
(1) VIRGINIA/ACC vs. (16) WAGNER/Northeast/SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY/SWAC
(8) Creighton vs. (9) NEVADA/Mountain West
(5) Wichita State vs. (12) MIDDLE TENNESSEE/Conference USA
(4) West Virginia vs. (13) EAST TENNESSEE STATE/Southern
(3) Clemson vs. (14) FLORIDA GULF COAST/Atlantic Sun
(6) Kentucky vs. (11) Virginia Tech/Boise State
(7) Arizona State vs. (10) Texas
(2) CINCINNATI/AAC vs. (15) PENN/Ivy League
- -Virginia is the 2nd overall seed despite a loss at home to Virginia Tech. The Cavaliers have a tough matchup at Miami on Tuesday. UVA lost at home to Miami last year and lost at Miami 2 years ago.
- -Cincinnati claims a 2 seed as the Bearcats continue to roll. Cincy has won 16 straight games and have rarely been challenged in the AAC.
(1) MICHIGAN STATE/Big Ten vs. (16) SFA/Southland
(8) Miami vs. (9) Seton Hall
(5) ARIZONA/Pac-12 vs. (12) NEW MEXICO STATE/WAC
(4) Tennessee vs. (13) MURRAY STATE/Ohio Valley
(3) Kansas vs. (14) BUFFALO/Mid-American
(6) Florida vs. (11) USC
(7) Oklahoma vs. (10) Alabama
(2) Duke vs. (15) BUCKNELL/Patriot League
- -Michigan State claims the 3rd overall seed. The big win on Saturday over Purdue was enough for me to put the Spartans back on the 1 line.
- -Duke is hanging on to a 2 seed and the win over Georgia Tech helped, even without Marvin Bagley III.
- -Oklahoma has lost 4 of 5 and 6 of their last 8 games and the Big 12 is not forgiving with two more tough ones this week.
Last Four In
First Four Out
Next Four Out
Multiple Bid Conferences
Here’s where the fun begins and where we set the Sports Channel 8 bracketology apart from everyone else. You can simulate the bracket above using NCAAGameSim.com. Enjoy!