by Jon Pence
Let’s look at the top line this week. Which teams might end up on the top line on Selection Sunday?
KenPom #1, NCAAGameSim #1, AP #1, RPI #1
As it stands Virginia seems like a lock to end up as a 1 seed. The Hoos have lost just twice all season and seem to destined for a #1 seed.
KenPom #2, NCAAGameSim #5, AP #4, RPI #2
The Wildcats appeared to be a lock a few weeks ago but have lost 3 of their last 6 games. It seems unlikely that Villanova and Xavier could both end up as 1 seeds out of the Big East.
KenPom #4, NCAAGameSim #3, AP #8, RPI #10
The Boilermakers lost 3 straight games against Ohio State, Michigan State, and Wisconsin before winning their last 3 games. The Boilermakers need a Big Ten tournament championship to have a shot at a 1 seed.
KenPom #3, NCAAGameSim #2, AP #5, RPI #4
The Blue Devils were starting to look like a 1 seed again after winning 5 straight, but the loss at Virginia Tech doesn’t help. Duke will probably need to win the ACC Tournament to clinch a 1 seed. An ACC Tournament championship loss could be enough if the Blue Devils get some help elsewhere.
KenPom #5, NCAAGameSim #4, AP #2, RPI #14
The Spartans, like Purdue, are really hurt by the weak Big Ten this season. Michigan State just clinched a Big Ten tournament title, but likely will need a tournament title as well to claim a 1 seed.
KenPom #13, NCAAGameSim #11, AP #3, RPI #3
Xavier lost at home to Villanova last week by 16 and but remain 3rd in the RPI. Even though I have both Nova and Xavier in today’s bracket, it’s hard to see both stay on the top line after tournament play. That’s especially true if multiple teams above make runs to tournament titles.
KenPom #9, NCAAGameSim #7, AP #6, RPI #6
All Kansas does is win Big 12 regular season titles. The Jayhawks clinched their 14th straight Big 12 title and have to be considered for a #1 seed once again. Kansas has to win the Big 12 tournament title as well and hope for some upsets in other conference tournaments.
Final Four: East vs West & Midwest vs South
ALL CAPS/conference indicates an automatic bid
(1) VIRGINIA/ACC vs. (16) LIPSCOMB/Atlantic Sun
(8) Butler vs. (9) Arizona State
(5) Ohio State vs. (12) UL LAFAYETTE/Sun Belt
(4) ARIZONA/Pac-12 vs. (13) NORTHERN KENTUCKY/Horizon
(3) AUBURN/SEC vs. (14) MONTANA/Big Sky
(6) Houston vs. (11) Louisville/Baylor
(7) Seton Hall vs. (10) Kansas State
(2) MICHIGAN STATE/Big Ten vs. (15) BUCKNELL/Patriot League
(1) Kansas vs. (16) COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON/Colonial/BETHUNE-COOKMAN/MEAC
(8) FSU vs. (9) Missouri
(5) Michigan vs. (12) NEW MEXICO STATE/WAC
(4) Wichita State vs. (13) SOUTH DAKOTA STATE/Summit
(3) Tennessee vs. (14) UNC GREENSBORO/Southern
(6) RHODE ISLAND/Atlantic 10 vs. (11) USC
(7) Creighton vs. (10) Alabama
(2) Duke vs. (15) UC SANTA BARBARA/Big West
(1) VILLANOVA/Big East vs. (16) WAGNER/Northeast/SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY/SWAC
(8) Oklahoma vs. (9) Miami
(5) Kentucky vs. (12) LOYOLA-CHICAGO/Missouri Valley
(4) GONZAGA/WCC vs. (13) MURRAY STATE/Ohio Valley
(3) CINCINNATI/AAC vs. (14) PENN/Ivy League
(6) TCU vs. (11) MIDDLE TENNESSEE/Conference USA/Syracuse
(7) Texas A&M vs. (10) Virginia Tech
(2) Purdue vs. (15) RIDER/MAAC
(1) Xavier vs. (16) UNC ASHEVILLE/Big South
(8) Florida vs. (9) NC State
(5) West Virginia vs. (12) Penn State
(4) Clemson vs. (13) VERMONT/America East
(3) TEXAS TECH/Big 12 vs. (14) BUFFALO/Mid-American
(6) NEVADA/Mountain West vs. (11) Texas
(7) Arkansas vs. (10) Saint Mary’s
(2) UNC vs. (15) SFA/Southland
Last Four In
First Four Out
Next Four Out
Multiple Bid Conferences
Here’s where the fun begins and where we set the SportsChannel 8 brack8ology apart from everyone else. You can simulate the bracket above using NCAAGameSim.com. Enjoy!